Re: [ft-devel] a hidden gem: the autohint warper code

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] a hidden gem: the autohint warper code
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 16:01:28 +0900

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:
> Below you can find two links to images (from David Turner, who is
> testing and evaluating the warping stuff again).  Please compare.
>
>   http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/9311/wikigitwarpoff.png
>   http://img852.imageshack.us/img852/3342/wikigitwarpon.png
>
> Interestingly, David thinks that the autohinter warping produces much
> worse results, while I consider exactly the opposite...

Hmm

Interestingly, it's not the shapes I notice so much, but that the
_spacing_ in the "hinting = on" image looks vastly better.  The spacing
in the "off" image is downright awful.

Not sure why this is so, but I'm guessing that the "off" image is using
up extra columns of pixels for almost-unnoticeable fringes at the sides
of characters, and the result is that there appears to be extra colums
of whitespace inserted at those points...

-Miles

--
Scriptures, n. The sacred books of our holy religion, as distinguished from
the false and profane writings on which all other faiths are based.