[ft-devel] rendering differences between 2.4.2 and 2.4.4

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [ft-devel] rendering differences between 2.4.2 and 2.4.4
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 06:42:59 +0100 (CET)

Folks, especially Graham and David,

please have a look at Savannah bug report #32671.  The described
rendering differences are *not* related to hinting (I've checked
this); it's definitely a problem with the smooth rasterizer.

In particular, check `o' and `e'.  With 2.4.2, these two glyphs
definitely look `blacker' than with 2.4.4.

I wonder whether it is really a degradation or whether it's just bad
luck that verdana looks inferior with the new smooth rendering code...