Re: [ft-devel] FT_StrokerRec::valid is not used

From: Graham Asher
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] FT_StrokerRec::valid is not used
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:45:36 +0000

On 16/03/2011 09:33, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

I have discovered some other minor optimisations to the stroker
module, but I'm not sure if it's worth mentioning them - they won't
provide much speed improvement but will get rid of some anomalies
and inefficiencies.
*Any* improvement is highly welcomed!  I'm glad that you are actually
looking at the code.

    Werner

I have also discovered that CartoType's method of stroking paths is much faster than FreeType's (more than twice as fast, I think - at any rate, it makes CartoType benchmark at about 10 seconds as opposed to 15 seconds, and CartoType does a lot of other things; this was disappointing to me because I had hoped to speed up CartoType by using the FreeType method). I don't have time to create a FreeType version of the CartoType system right now, but I think it's because CartoType uses the intersections of parallels to get inner join positions, while FreeType calculates them using trigonometry.

I'm happy to share CartoType's system with the world if it's of interest - but again, it's a matter of time, because I am very busy and CartoType's C++ coding style is very different from FreeType's C, so I'd have to do a lot of conversion.

Credit for CartoType's system is due to my colleague Lex Warners (now inactive, alas), who also implemented the fixed-point trigonometric routines.

Graham