[ft-devel] Re: [Fontforge-devel] Fwd: Possible FontForge (and FreeType)

From: James Cloos
Subject: [ft-devel] Re: [Fontforge-devel] Fwd: Possible FontForge (and FreeType) OTF issues
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 06:28:09 -0400

>>> FontForge itself seems to have a built-in max of 42 CID sub-fonts:
>>> the pull-down menu under CID displays at most 42 (in builds of
>>> 20090224 and 20100501; not sure about the current source, since I'm
>>> still trying to get it to build on Mac OS X 10.6.6).

I just took a look through (git grep makes is easy) and saw no instances
of static allocation of the subfont structures in fontforge; everything
is allocated dynamically.

Looking at the Reader9 versions of the fonts you mentioned, I get:

>>> AdobeHeitiStd-Regular.otf
Version 5.04 has 10 subfamilies

>>> AdobeSongStd-Light.otf
Version 5.02 has 10 subfamilies

>>> AdobeFangsongStd-Regular.otf
>>> AdobeKaitiStd-Regular.otf
these are not included.

The 10 subfamilies matches the number of FontName entries ttx shows in
the CFF table.

For Heiti, in fontforge I see 28931 glyphs between Hanzi and Yi.  I
didn't count the eight small subfamilies, but that looks like a good
match for the 30009 unique cidNNNNNs ttx says are in the cmap table.

Is there an example of a font with more than 42 subfonts?

I tested with ff 20100501, gentoo amd64 compile.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6