Re: [ft-devel] [Patch] CJK autofit/autohint blue zones

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [Patch] CJK autofit/autohint blue zones
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 10:01:23 +0200 (CEST)

> There are indeed some problems with the patch. They happened when
> the bluezones were scaled at af_cjk_metrics_scale_dim() [...]
>
> I update the patch to the current git and address the problems.
> Please review the logic behind the idea.

Thanks!  I leave this to Toshiya-san for testing.

> There could be other improvements when scaling the bluezone. Like
> under small size, round the bluezones to the ceiling
> unconditionally.  That could make glyph bigger and clearer.  But
> could make it 1 pixel extra bigger than the intended size.

Well, what is the `intended size'?  As we all know, it's impossible to
exactly find out the bbox of a glyph string without actually rendering
it, and it rarely happens that you get for, say, a 10pt font at 72dpi
a bbox height of 10 pixels.  Additionally, bytecode instructions in
TrueType fonts modify the size also, sometimes rather drastically --
in other words, I don't mind if a patch increases the size by one
pixel if legibility improves, provided this size fits (more or less)
with the non-CJK glyphs in the same font.