Re: [ft-devel] .gitignore in release tarballs

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] .gitignore in release tarballs
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 12:24:06 +0200 (CEST)

>>> our building system warned me that there are .gitignore files
>>> distributed in release tarballs of freetype.  Could you remove
>>> them in upcoming releases?
>>
>> Why should .gitignore files be removed from release tarballs?
>> They're part of the source code.

Mhmm, not really IMHO.  For me, `.gitignore' is rather an
administrative metafile (like the `.git' subdirectory).  Consequently,
such files make only sense in the git repository but not in the
tarball.

> OK, I just thought that you don't want git specific files there
> since you've removed git specific directories.  I'll workaround it
> in freetype's spec file.

If you are in a hurry, please provide a patch so that `make dist'
ignores those files :-) Otherwise, I'll fix this, but without any
guarantee of a time frame.