Re: [ft-devel] broken hinted DejaVuSans et 4

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] broken hinted DejaVuSans et 4
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 22:12:31 +0200 (CEST)

>> This means that FreeType is fine and DejaVuSans's hinting at 4ppm is
>> buggy. :-) Due to the `gasp' table, this is a non-issue anyway.
>
> It cannot be both non-issue and buggy font.

The hinting at 4ppem *is* buggy.  However, the gasp table prevents
hinting at this size, for exactly that reason.  So it is a non-issue.

> No blame for ftview and its handling of gasp?

ftview intentionally doesn't handle gasp.  Instead, you can manually
switch on and off the various hinting and rendering modes.

I've examined the issue more closely because such rendering artifacts
look fishy; there was a possibility that the bug lies within FreeType.
It's a relieve for me that everything is OK.