Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint 0.4 has been released

From: vernon adams
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint 0.4 has been released
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 19:35:12 +0100

Hi,
After some quick tests it seems that the same render issues on iOS & printing to postscript printers on OSX remain, or at least partly(?) I should later test same font autohinted with v0.3 and look for differences/similarities.

I have put iOS screenshots at http://newtypography.co.uk/ttfautohint/
Shots are from iOS 4.3.3, and i will test iOS5 later.

I have been looking at the test fonts to see if maybe the font outlines or points are causing the issue but they seem healthy and render fine on all other scenarios. I have been trying to work out which glyph forms are most likely to get malformed but it doesnt seem to follow a pattern. Postscript printing on OSX gives the same malformations on the same glyphs.

-v

Thanks Werner.
I will test this tonight :)

Also - i have noticed ttfautohint has limitations when it comes to instructing
very light weighted fonts.
The autohinter is creating instructions that produce much too thin stems. The
uniformity of the stems seems good :) but they are simply too thin and
disappear at below 18-16 px.
Could there be a way to set the autohinter to impose a minimum size of stem
widths, for example??

I will post you screenshots later of the issue.

-v