Re: [ft-devel] [ft] ttfautohint 0.4 has been released

From: Infinality
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [ft] ttfautohint 0.4 has been released
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 14:16:06 -0500

Hi Vernon,

I've achieved some results by selectively playing with the "dist" value in af_latin_compute_stem_width() in aflatin.c. The problem with doing this though is the lack of diagonal hinting in the autohinter. Things like W and A can start looking really thin when you force stems to something like 1 pixel wide. I would LOVE to see diagonal hinting get implemented, because it would really improve the quality of the autohinter. I'd also be interested to see if there is some sort of official answer to your question, as I'd certainly make use of it in my patchset. Currently I use a combination of emboldening, gamma correction, alignment and "dist" manipulation to make thinner fonts render in a more readable way. It would be nice to have one way to do it!

Thanks,
Erik
(Infinality)