Re: [ft-devel] [RFC] FT_LCD_FILTER_HEAVY

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [RFC] FT_LCD_FILTER_HEAVY
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 20:03:20 +0100 (CET)

> [...] I went ahead and patched freetype2 on my system and changed
> the FIR weights for lcd_filter_func. See patch attached.

Thanks!

> [...]
>
> The new FT_LCD_FILTER_HEAVY is very heavy handed, I'll admit.  It
> looks great with serif fonts such as Georgia (or so I think), but it
> may be excessive with sans-serif fonts.
>
> So I don't really expect you would want to include this as
> submitted.

I don't have a problem to add this.  What do others think?

> What would be a better way to offer a "bolder" rendering option to
> people like me?
>
> Define a new GConf or fontconfig flag and Call
> FT_Library_SetLcdFilterWeights() from there?

Neither GConf nor fontconfig are under control of FreeType...

> Should it be a flag with predefined weights or should we allow users
> to choose weight explicitly?

Given that we already have a function to set LCD filter weights, it
would be natural to allow setting of the weights individually.  I
suggest that you discuss this on the fontconfig list.