Re: [ft-devel] [RFC] FT_LCD_FILTER_HEAVY

From: Infinality
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [RFC] FT_LCD_FILTER_HEAVY
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 21:22:26 -0600

I'll ask the fontconfig ML what they think of this, and if they OK it,
I'll send you the fontconfig patch as I work on it.

Sounds good.

The question here is how to pass an arbitrary set of parameters to
freetype from fontconfig. I'm not sure what will be the most natural
on the fontconfig side (they already support a number of "complex"
configuration value types, such as a 2x2 matrix). I'm thinking that
for simplicity we may want to restrict "module" configuration to
polymorphic lists, not trees. Anyway, I'll ask the fontconfig people
for advice.

I would imagine that in 99% of cases, polymorphic lists would be sufficient. Anything involving something outside of that probably needs to be considered separately anyway!

I'm certainly no expert in that area, but I know of users of freetype
(think small embedded) that would likely not want to have a new
library dependency to get AA rendering. However, it certainly makes
sense to modularize this part of freetype, but maybe it should still
belong to freetype (the project), even if it designed in modules that
can be loaded/unloaded at runtime (for instance).
I agree that is the best approach right now, for that reason, but also because Freetype internal stuff is still pretty fresh to me. ;) I'll post to the list if/when I need help.

Erik
∞