Re: [ft-devel] FreeType Engine

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] FreeType Engine
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 06:28:17 +0100 (CET)

>     We are developing a medical device using an ARM based
>     architecture in an embedded environment.  We are using IAR
>     compiler with Micrium RTOS.  The device has a touch screen color
>     LCD display (TFT), and requires many different fonts and font
>     sizes for buttons labels, menus, etc.  Can we use the FreeType
>     engine in such an environment?  We would like to avoid keeping
>     tens of different font tables (bitmaps).  It would be nice to
>     have a single font which gets scaled correctly to other sizes.

Yes, FreeType has been specifically developed to work in memory-tight
environments.  Due to its modularity, you can strip off all components
you don't need, making its footprint very small.  The library is known
to work on ARM, however, I don't know whether it works out of the box
with your compiler and OS.  Patches are highly welcomed :-)