Re: [ft-devel] A review of ttfauthint by designer of Siri

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] A review of ttfauthint by designer of Siri
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 10:24:29 +0100 (CET)

>> It's rather that code is missing which checks that segments from
>> different outlines have enough vertical separation.  I have to
>> investigate yet whether this is a problem in my bytecode or a
>> general problem with the FreeType autohinter.
>
> It's allways been noticeable to me that when i manually hint fonts
> on Windows GDI, the font at small pt sizes renders on Freetype
> sytems with the x-height and Caps height lower than under Windows
> GDI.

A *hinted* font?  This sounds strange.  Bytecode executed with
FreeType and the MS rasterizer should give the same result.  If you
have evidence for this behaviour please give more details since it
sounds like a bug.

> In my opinion ttfautohint needs to use freetype libs that snap
> x-height and caps-heights lower than the standard freetype
> autohinter.  Does that make sense?

I don't think so.  You simply can't compare manually hinted TT fonts
with the result of the autohinter.  In general, rounding down at small
PPEM values causes more troubles than rounding up.