Re: [ft-devel] A review of ttfauthint by designer of Siri

From: vernon adams
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] A review of ttfauthint by designer of Siri
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 10:21:55 +0000

On 10/02/12 09:24, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

It's rather that code is missing which checks that segments from
different outlines have enough vertical separation.  I have to
investigate yet whether this is a problem in my bytecode or a
general problem with the FreeType autohinter.

It's allways been noticeable to me that when i manually hint fonts
on Windows GDI, the font at small pt sizes renders on Freetype
sytems with the x-height and Caps height lower than under Windows
GDI.

A *hinted* font?  This sounds strange.  Bytecode executed with
FreeType and the MS rasterizer should give the same result.  If you
have evidence for this behaviour please give more details since it
sounds like a bug.

Werner,
Not sure if we are talking about the same thing, and i may not know what i am talking about :)

Look at the 4 screenshots at http://code.newtypography.co.uk/?p=2265
click the shots to see full res images.

2 versions of same Truetype font (1 manually instructed with MS Visual TrueType, 1 with no TT instructions) Both rendered under freetype 2.4.8 on KDE 4.8 with 'Full hint" and subpixel rendering. Top 2 shots are 9 pt font size, lower shots are 8 pt font.

At 8 pts the x-height of the hinted font is same as the non-hinted font.
But, at 9 pt the x-height of the non-hinted font is rendered taller than the x-height of the TTinstructed font. It's 1 pixel taller in fact.

My point is that the freetype autohinter should (if possible) render x-heights & cap heights the same as the freetype bytecode interpreter. Though from your comment below, i think you are saying it's not a good idea to force freetype to do that.

-v

In my opinion ttfautohint needs to use freetype libs that snap
x-height and caps-heights lower than the standard freetype
autohinter.  Does that make sense?

I don't think so.  You simply can't compare manually hinted TT fonts
with the result of the autohinter.  In general, rounding down at small
PPEM values causes more troubles than rounding up.