Re: [ft-devel] FreeType patches to support amalgamation

From: suzuki toshiya
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] FreeType patches to support amalgamation
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 20:14:32 +0900

Hi,

For first, I state that I have no objection against the decision by
Werner, because now the time he spends for the maintenance of FreeType2
(in official branch) is longer than those of other FreeType2 developers
(maybe except of David Turner).

But, if I just talk about the idea to change program source files,
to prevent the conflict of the name of types, functions, and variables,
I feel a sympathy with Alexei. Also some temporal macro functions
must be cared. Putting the prefix or postfix to all names, we can
avoid the conflicts, but it makes the names longer, and it makes
the sources eye-unfriendly (especially for the die-hard VT100
emulator users like me). It is good idea to consider the conflict
of inter-source names from the beginning of a software design, but,
changing the existing source files designed without inter-source
name conflict is painful work.

# there are some macros that are just designed to reduce
# the length of a line, something like,
# #define GET_A_PLACE_IN_CA( a ) (
earth->america->north_america->usa->california->a )

I wish if there is some program to convert a group of source files
to "conflict-free" source files by inserting the prefix/postfixes.
If there is such, all developers who are asked to support the concatenated
source can reduce their efforts. I'm unfamiliar with C source parsers
that can pickup the names and filter them correctly (if anybody knows,
please let me know!), so I could not propose another option to support
Vinnie's request, thus, I must follow the decision by Werner.

Regards,
mpsuzuki