Re: [ft-devel] Auto Embolding of Lohit Devanagari

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Auto Embolding of Lohit Devanagari
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 19:44:18 +0530

2012/2/25 suzuki toshiya <address@hidden>
Dear Alexei,

Thank you again for comment. I think your comment (the lower-left
corner of the horizontal stroke is interpreted as Bezier curve)
is reasonable, although yet I've not checked how they are interpreted
yet (sorry for my laziness).

I think there are 2 issues in auto-embolden Lohit Devanagari;
a) disconnection of horizontal strokes (which should be connected with previous/next glyph)
b) unflat horizontal stroke at the left side.

I think issue a) occurs in all glyphs, but issue b) is not for all
(however, many glyphs show issue b)). In addition, issue b) is not
only for Devanagari. Lohit shows same issue on some ASCII characters
(like "#", "="), so this issue should not be expected as Devanagari
only problem.

I attached a pair of U+090A and U+090B, showing issue b) (U+090A)
and showing no issue b) (U+090B).

In attached pair if we check normal version of same pair horizontal upper bar is connected but after Bold it is broken in between.
Do let me know if any changes required from font side i tried some though.

Thanks,
Pravin Satpute

Also I uploaded 2 pictures of the outline parsed by fontforge,
for U+090A and U+090B. I think there is a difference at the lower-left
corner between these 2 glyphs, and it may cause issue b).
http://home.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/mpsuzuki/Lohit-Devanagari_U+090A.gif
http://home.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/mpsuzuki/Lohit-Devanagari_U+090B.gif
Further investigation is needed, please wait (sorry again for my laziness).

Regards,
mpsuzuki