Re: [ft-devel] [patch] emboldening rework v1

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [patch] emboldening rework v1
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 10:47:35 -0400

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
>> FT_ORIENTATION_NONE is supposed to mean CANNOT BE DETERMINED, which
>> is easier said than done. Any contour has a well defined orientation
>> as a sign of the area it covers: plus or minus. It is only the
>> degenerate contours or the contours with self-intersections that can
>> have zero coverage area and, therefore, undetermined orientation.
>
> There is a difference between `cannot be determined' (by the used
> algorithm) and `is undetermined' (in the mathematical sense).  I think
> FreeType only refers to the former, even if the implementation doesn't
> work as expected.

Can I rephrase this like this?

It is not the purpose of FT_Outline_Get_Orientation to diagnose broken
outlines by detecting sub-contours that intersect or have inconsistent
orientation. Therefore, some very horribly broken outlines will indeed
result in FT_ORIENTATION_NONE, others will remain undetected.

I sense that Behdad has embarked on the mission to implement a
thorough diagnostic tool, which is a noble and very difficult journey,
which should be separate from fast and dirty
FT_Outline_Get_Orientation.

Alexei