Re: [ft-devel] FW: PDF text rendering error

From: Hirwen HARENDAL
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] FW: PDF text rendering error
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 21:00:54 +0000

Werner, please excuse my emphasis

> The font is OK. As I've mentioned before, it is *not* possible to
> edit this font with FontLab or FontForge!

** No smoke without fire... Sorry, but St Thomas was one of my students :-)

> You need a special editor to handle those rare fonts which use bytecode to scale and shift
> subglyphs.

** A special font editor in 1995-1998, have you got a name, I'm intersting?

> > ** http://www.nec.co.jp/csr/en/report2009/cs/ud/ud01.html at Universal
> > ** Design Fonts ?
>
> Yes, the font looks similar. No idea whether this is still a `tricky'
> font, or whether the font designer has decided to `expand' the
> subglyphs.

** It's still tricky to work with CJK fonts, in general, but that can't explain
the result of the font file attached, except the fact that the interpreter is very confused
by the glyphs datas. Is this due to the use of the bytecode to scale subglyphs only ?
I'm not sure.
On the other hand, I don't think you'd be surprised by the poor quality of some
commercial fonts that I was asked to rework.

Hirwen