Re: [ft-devel] [Fontforge-devel] Peter Wiegel's auto spacing idea

From: vernon adams
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [Fontforge-devel] Peter Wiegel's auto spacing idea
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 22:50:02 +0300

If no-one is familiar with David Kindersley's experiments with optical spacing it's well worth looking at.
Info is scarce, except from http://www.kindersleyworkshop.co.uk/shop/optical-letter-spacing.php

Basically DK built an apparatus for viewing lettering, to gauge spacing before he cut the lettering into stone.
pic at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ebensorkin/4421715975/
The viewer used a filter that 'kind of' worked like a gaussian across the horizontal of each letter(x-axis).

I can imagine that a similar digital guassian applied to characters would definitely speed up and improve manual spacing, and could be the basis of an underlying auto-spacing system too.

-vern