[ft-devel] Ligature support in Freetype?

From: Jay Vaughan
Subject: [ft-devel] Ligature support in Freetype?
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 13:10:07 +0200

Hello freetype-devel'ers,

I was wondering if anyone on this list might be able to help me work out the
effort required to support the FF Chartwell font in freetype2:

        https://www.fontfont.com/how-to-use-ff-chartwell

This is a font which uses ligatures to create small, interesting, bar-charts
and graphs and so on (please see the site referred).  Its my understanding,
(per this thread:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/freetype-devel/2008-12/msg00007.html), that
Freetype won't work directly with this method of specifying the ligature, but
in case I misunderstand I thought I would introduce myself, and the problem to
this community.

I'm working with the MOAI SDK these days (http://getmoai.com/) which is using
libfreetype2 for its rendering needs, and I am trying to work out what it would
take to get these special ligatures supported in freetype2 for use within the
MOAI context - or if its even possible at all?

If anyone else is interested in this topic, and knows about how to handle these
ligature types, I'd love to hear about it - I'm a newbie to freetype2, but
willing to learn a great deal from someone on this list who knows what they're
doing (and has the patience to explain it) - perhaps its of interest in
general, also, to get such support in freetype2 among this community?  If there
is something you need to know about the Chartwell font, I can provide details
as I have purchased the font already.

Hope this is appropriate for this list and of interest to you freetype
developers too!

--
Jay Vaughan
address@hidden