Re: [ft-devel] optimal configuration to render fonts using gamma correct

From: Francesco Abbate
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] optimal configuration to render fonts using gamma correction
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 21:45:00 +0200

> What do you mean by "washed out"?  _What's_ "washed out"?  Regardless
> of what curve your grey-levels use, white should be white, and black
> should be black, and fonts are mostly black and white....

Hi,

I'm sorry I was not clear to express the problem. By washed out I
meant that, like in image http://imagebin.org/222768 the text is too
much clear. To make an objective comparison I have compared the same
text rendered with google chrome on ubuntu and gsl shell. The image is
here:

http://imagebin.org/222920

The text rendered with chrome is clearly more dark, more crisp, while
with my rendering pipeline the text is quite clear. This is probably
normal with antialising and gamma correction since the pixel does not
have a 100% coverage but the final results, even if correct, does look
too much clear, washed out as I was saying before.

I guess that google chrome does use libxft on linux to render text so
probably it is a the level of libxft that the rendering pipeline is
defined. I'm wondering if they are using gamma correction or not, if
it is the hinting that make the difference or if they use other
special methods to increase font crispness.

Francesco