Re: [ft-devel] Configuring for alternative build environments

From: Del Merritt
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Configuring for alternative build environments
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 09:33:26 -0500

On 11/27/2012 01:57 PM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

It looks like for starters I'll be overriding a bunch of the
contents of ftstdlib.h - things like "fseek" would be replaced by my
own, Java-specific version that operates on the InputStream.
Yes, this is the way to go, I think.  Please report any problems to
the list!

Even though disk is cheap, I like to keep source distributions "clean" whenever possible.  As such, I really like to start my configure and make commands in an otherwise empty directory.  Thus, if I have extracted the FT source in "~/ft2", and I want to build in "~/work/ft2-jni", I would then do something like this:
$ cd ~/work/ft2-jni
$ ~/ft2/freetype2/configure CFLAGS=-fPIC
$ make
And this seems to work; I get .o files in ~/work/ft2-jni and there's my ~/work/ft2-jni/.libs that has my libfreetype.a.

The problem is that I have a customized version of ftoption.h.  According to CUSTOMIZE, "Just put your custom  `ftoption.h' file into the objects directory".  When I do this sequence:
$ cd ~/work
$ cp jni-ftoption.h ~/work/ft2-jni/ftoption.h
$ cd ~/work/ft2-jni

$ ~/ft2/freetype2/configure CFLAGS=-fPIC
$ make
My customized version of ftoption.h disappears!  Oops.

Is this "known" behavior?  Have I copied the file to the wrong spot?  If so, why was it nuked?

Related: CUSTOMIZE seems silent on the handling of modules.cfg in this scenario of building outside of the FT source tree.  Since my goal is to leave The Source pristine whenever possible, I'd like to specify where modules.cfg comes from.

Any clarification on what I have missed would be appreciated!
-Del