Re: [ft-devel] severe problems with subpixel hinting

From: Infinality
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] severe problems with subpixel hinting
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 18:06:17 -0600

I've verified with debug messages that for TNR Regular, subpixel
hinting and ignore_x_mode are successfully being set TRUE in
tt_loader_init().  However, the execution context in ttinterp.c has
them set to FALSE at the beginning of TT_RunIns().  I'm wondering if
in some cases the execution context is being *reused* in Firefox
without calling tt_loader_init().  That could also explain the weird
graphic glitches that only happen in TNR Regular.  Does that sound
plausible?  Guess I'll have to dig into Firefox code.
I'm clueless, sorry.  You might contact Jonathan Kew
<address@hidden> for help; AFAIK, he is one of the guys
responsible for the font engine of Firefox.

     Werner

I think I've figured out the issue here, and (huge surprise) it's not firefox. I was making the detection of opcode patterns dependent on ignore_x_mode being set, however this doesn't get set until glyphs are loaded. I'm just going to allow opcodes to be detected simply if TT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_HINTING has been defined. Then, compatibility_mode will get enabled during runtime whenever the rendering mode isn't mono.

Thanks,
Erik