Re: [ft-devel] Generating Windows text metrics

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Generating Windows text metrics
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 09:57:50 +0100 (CET)

[No need to post twice!  Be patient and wait a few days until doing a
 `ping' in case you don't get a reponse.]

> In the Windows API function ::CreateFont the height can be passed in
> two ways.
>
> A negative height gives metrics for fit to a character height and a
> positive heights means fit to a cell height.
>
> Here is the MSDN page for some more details.
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/desktop/dd183499%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
>
> Can Freetype also generate text metrics for both fit to character
> height and fit to cell height?
>
> I'm interested in metrics such as tmAscent, tmDescent and,
> tmInternalLeading for both cases.

I've looked up the link, and I don't understand a word what the MS
documentation says.  This is due to my complete lack of knowing
Windows programming, of course :-)

Can you do a small drawing or give a link to an image which explains
the different modes?