Re: [ft-devel] Subpixel Hinting is Broken

From: Infinality
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Subpixel Hinting is Broken
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 22:59:35 -0600

Alexei's latest commit seems to have fixed the issue.

On 01/25/2013 10:36 PM, Infinality wrote:
Hi all,

I've spent the last few hours trying to figure out what was wrong with my code (because I naturally assume that something is messed up with *it*. :D ) Well, it turns out that some recent change to Freetype has broken subpixel hinting.

Compile the last release with subpixel hinting and rendering enabled, and run ftview on Courier New (Windows 8 version, but others may work):
ftview -r 96 10.0 /usr/share/fonts/windows8/cour.ttf

Hit 'L' twice and the down arrow twice, and Esc.  Fails = 0.

Then, compile the latest git with subpixel hinting and rendering enabled, and repeat. I get 713 fails. I tried reverting certain more obvious things with the changes since the last release, but wasn't able to narrow down the cause.

Any ideas on what might have caused this?

Thanks,
Erik