Re: [ft-devel] FreeType patch (SYSROOT)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] FreeType patch (SYSROOT)
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2013 17:41:09 +0100 (CET)

>> Right now I've discovered that this patch removes the use of the
>> `$rpath' variable in the `--libs' option of freetype-config (it
>> seems that I've missed this while writing the ChangeLog entry
>> then).  Was this intentional?
>
> I don't remember exactly. How did you stumble over this now?

I want to generate the freetype-config file at compile time instead of
configure time, and this is suprisingly tricky (probably due to a
libtool bug), see

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2013-02/msg00001.html

> If you want to add it back, it should be the path to without the
> SYSROOT.

I would be happy to avoid it...

> There's no need for manual rpath handling if you use autotools
> (autoconf+automake and probably libtools) as your build system.

Well, almost ten years ago, we *already* used autoconf + automake, and
there was still a request to use an `-R' option for freetype-config
output.

> From my point of view it's best to use pkg-config and get rid of the
> *-config scripts.

I'm quite sure that a lot of people think differently.  The biggest
problem is that pkg-config is a separate package.

However, we provide support for both.