[ft-devel] [04/08] gamma correction issues with FreeType

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [ft-devel] [04/08] gamma correction issues with FreeType
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 05:48:47 +0100 (CET)

>From Werner Lemberg:

  > The reason your text is too dark is because your system is
  > blending anti-aliased pixels in a non-linear color space.  To get
  > proper results, you need to blend in a linear color space, or at
  > least a reasonable approximation to a linear color space.  This is
  > called linear blending, or linearized blending or gamma-corrected
  > blending.

  Thanks for you excellent explanation.  I think this should
  definitely be added to the FreeType docs.  I've found this page

    https://bel.fi/alankila/lcd/

  that seems to explain the issue quite well, even providing formulae.

  > This is consistent with your observation that you've noticed this
  > on other fonts, too.  It is not a font problem, it is a system
  > problem.  And unfortunately, it is a common problem.  Linearized
  > blending adds some complication and performance cost.  But it is
  > especially important for anti-aliased text.

  So what darkening values do you recommend in this worst-case
  szenario?

  I also wonder which operating system or application Octoploid is
  using...