Re: [ft-devel] gamma correction and FreeType

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] gamma correction and FreeType
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 13:48:08 -0500

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 1:29 PM, another gol <address@hidden> wrote:
It could be that all of my monitors have a 1.4 gamma, but really, I never saw it looking wrong on any monitor, & there must be a reason Windows defaults to 1.4. I strongly suspect that the 2.2 standard gamma is either a myth or an old truth that doesn't apply anymore.seems to still be present.

Apples and oranges. What was developed for a generic smooth photograph (2.2) does not have to be applicable for the extreme contrast of glyph images (1.4 or what not). I do not get why we even have this discussion.