Re: [ft-devel] A few more problematic fonts

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] A few more problematic fonts
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 06:44:42 +0100 (CET)

> You already fixed this one - this was the one with the long path for
> ftdump.  Thanks.  128 Bytes was really too low - only windows CDs
> have 128 unicode char limit these days... I think linux's is at
> least 1024 bytes.

Ok, changed to 1024.

> I found that this font seems to have bad embedded bitmap - [...]

Thanks, will check that.

> I can send you the font itself - it is 19MB, but bzips to 6.3MB so
> just about e-mailable if you wants it.

Please do!

> With the latest code, I found that one needs hinting ON and
> anti-alias OFF for the glyphs to look correct.  Hope this helps.

Hinting ON is a necessary requirement, since FreeType's auto-hinter
doesn't apply TrueType hinting before auto-hinting the font -- note
that ftview contains special code to circumvent the check for `tricky
fonts'; normally, the rendering would be correct out of the box.

Anti-alias OFF makes it work, right.  Switching to the v35 bytecode
interpreter (key `H' in recent ftview versions) makes it work, too,
thus my request for Infinality's help.