Re: [ft-devel] Regarding Colored Emoji

From: Himanshu Joshi
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Regarding Colored Emoji
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 19:54:46 +0530

Hi Behdad,
 Thank you for the guidence, I was thinking of resizing after debugging about the available strikes in FreType but was not very sure what to use for the same. I was using it on Windows to make one demo application, will add libPNG to windows project and try your suggestions.

On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 1:15 AM, Behdad Esfahbod <address@hidden> wrote:
On 13-11-29 04:35 AM, Himanshu Joshi wrote:
> Hi,
>  Was trying to use Colored Bitmap fonts with FreeType 2.5.0.1 release, but
> facing following issues
> 1. FT_Set_Char_Size , returns Error code 23
> 2. If i skip call to "FT_Set_Char_Size" as Colored Emoji will be bitmap then
> search for Unicode returns zero (default glyph). Unicode passed is working on
> Android Kitkat messaging.
>

> FreeType Settings:
> Font: NotoColoredEmoji (Got from Android source)
> Font Size: 16
>
> Following Macro are ON:
> 1. TT_CONFIG_OPTION_EMBEDDED_BITMAP
> 2. FT_CONFIG_OPTION_USE_PNG
>
>  Pls suggest if some other setting is required or I am missing something.

FreeType doesn't resize bitmap images.  Noto Sans Color has two strikes, at
55ppem and 109ppem.  You are supposed to query the available sizes from
FreeType, choose the smallest size larger than your desired size,
FT_Set_Char_Size to the chosen size, load glyph, and use whatever imaging
library you have to resize the image.

What platform are you using?

--
behdad