Re: [ft-devel] Arial/Times ldot hinting

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Arial/Times ldot hinting
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 22:51:41 +0100 (CET)

> I note that on Arial_Bold.ttf glyph #274 "ldot", C Freetype's hinted
> output looks off to me.  [...]
>
> Times New Roman glyph #274 "ldot" at 13 ppem is similarly off by -3,
> [...]

Please retry with the current git.  Three days ago I've committed the
following:

  [truetype] Fix phantom point handling.

    This is a further improvement to the changes from 2013-11-06.

    * src/truetype/ttgload.c (TT_Hint_Glyph): Horizontal phantom points
    are rounded horizontally, vertical ones are rounded vertically.
    (TT_LOADER_SET_PP): The horizontal position of vertical phantom
    points in pre-ClearType mode is zero, as shown in the OpenType
    specification.

Indeed, it seems that ftgrid now handles your examples just fine.

>      origin = zone->cur[zone->n_points - 4].x;
>      origin = FT_PIX_ROUND( origin ) - origin;
>      if ( origin )
>        translate_array( zone->n_points, zone->cur, origin, 0 );

I think that this is obscure code which should be removed altogether
since phantom points are now properly rounded.