Re: [ft-devel] [Fontconfig] fontconfig crash for special bdf font

From: Alan Coopersmith
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [Fontconfig] fontconfig crash for special bdf font
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 23:28:18 -0800

On 01/28/14 11:09 PM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

That prop.u.atom is the result of calling FT_BDF_Get_Property
though, we are expecting to see the proper atom when prop.type is
set to BDF_PROPERTY_TYPE_ATOM.  In this case IMHO prop.type should
be set to BDF_PROPERTY_TYPE_NONE and returns an error.

Why?  The entry in the font causing the crash is is

   SETWIDTH_NAME ""

which is valid from a syntax point of view AFAICS, so returning an
error seems incorrect to me.

Ah, oops.   When I created that font to test the STARTCHAR bug in X.Org's bdf
parser, I thought I'd looked at FreeType to make sure it didn't have the same
bug before we released the X.Org advisory, but I didn't think to actually test
it to see if something else would trigger.   (Other than the STARTCHAR and font
name, it's an ancient OpenLook cursor font Sun contributed to the X Consortium
decades ago, available at
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/font/sun-misc/tree/olcursor.bdf
or in the tarball
http://www.x.org/releases/individual/font/font-sun-misc-1.0.3.tar.bz2 .)