[ft-devel] change FT_Outline_Funcs API

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: [ft-devel] change FT_Outline_Funcs API
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 13:05:21 -0500

Werner,

What will it take to change  FT_Outline_Funcs API? I am talking about
shift and delta. Freetype does not use them and sets them zero. Google
search outside seems to show the same. This API is so inflexible that
it is useless.

On the other hand, subpixel rendering scales outlines 3 times in one
or the other direction. THAT would be useful thing to do in
FT_Outline_Decompose! Instead we do it in ft_smooth_render_generic and
what is even more ugly we need to scale back, which is total waste of
time.

Oh well, since shift values above 64 hardly make any sense, we can
have a backwards compatible solution where higher bits of shift are
used as a couple of flags for tripling one coordinate or the other.

What do you think?

Alexei