Re: [ft-devel] Freetype

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Freetype
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 07:44:32 +0100 (CET)

[please *always* reply to the list!]

> I'll try to explain. At the end of the file

What file?

> contains the following command, <ESC> * p472Y and <ESC> * p558X that
> define the current coordinates for print sign its code 0x20 (32).

I don't understand this.  What do you mean with `print sign'?  A
glyph?  And what does `code 0x20'?  In most encodings, code 0x20
represents the space character.  Do you want to print a font's space
character?

> A little earlier given definition code 0x20 commands <ESC> c32E
> <ESC> (s10W [data length of 10 bytes]. In the data given glyph ID =
> 0x0003 and Truetype glyph data = 0x00F9 The definition of a font at
> the begin of file is specified command <ESC> * c16534D <ESC>)
> s14528W [14528 bytes of data].  In the data consist of the font
> header and segments the most important segment of the "GT" - Global
> TrueType Data. This segment contains the Table Directory.

I still don't have any idea what you are talking about, but it seems
to me that you want to split the TrueType font into smaller chunks
that are then sent to the printer.  Why do you do that?

> Is it possible on the basis of these data do rasterization sign?

Maybe I'm looking at the problem from the wrong side.  What you
describe is what the driver *receives*, right?  And you are wondering
whether the received data is sufficient to start rasterization.

If this my assumption is correct, you have to synthesize an SFNT data
structure (as described in the OpenType specification) from the
received data so that you can call FreeType's glyph loading function
(`FT_Load_Glyph' in FreeType 2), which in turn returns a bitmap or
graymap.

This is basically reverse engineering the core functionality of
function `sfnt_load_face' in FreeType 2 file `src/sfnt/sfobjs.c', so I
suggest to study that.

You should also have a look at the FT_CONFIG_OPTION_INCREMENTAL
option, which is used by GhostScript to incrementally load a font.
This is contributed code, so I don't know how it works in detail.
However, it sounds like it tries to solve a problem similar to yours.

> I took 1.3.1 to start to see what will be the problem. After that it
> will be easier with version 2

I doubt that.  FreeType 2 is *not* compatible with FreeType 1!