Re: [ft-devel] Taming CFF_CONFIG_OPTION_DARKENING_PARAMETER_Y* for a gam

From: Dave Arnold
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Taming CFF_CONFIG_OPTION_DARKENING_PARAMETER_Y* for a gamma of ~2.2/sRGB?
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 08:47:32 -0700

Hi Dave,

On 8/25/2015 8:53 PM, Dave Crossland wrote:
> As you noted, stdHW and stdVW are normally obtained from a CFF font
dictionary. For TT, we (at Adobe) estimate stem width values based on the OS/2
weight class. We use three values, light (50/1000), regular (75/1000) and bold
(110/1000).

I'm confused about this. If a single style family had a weight class of 400 but
it's stems are much more/less than 75, will that font be darkened/lightened too
much?

Yes, you are correct. The heuristic I described was a compromise for a mobile
rasterizer that needed to be small and simple. In a more complete Adobe
rasterizer, we analyse the outlines to get a more accurate stem width value. I
think the autohint code may have the necessary information to do this, too.

Thanks.

-Dave