Re: [ft-devel] Autohinter: stem darkening, first rough prototype

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Autohinter: stem darkening, first rough prototype
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 15:02:52 +0200 (CEST)

>> Whatever, I don't mind.  However, the four parameter pairs must
>> stay.
>
> Freetype relies on gazillion of empirical constants in the code.
> Not a single one of those was has ever been promoted to a
> configuration file.  All of the sudden these 4 pair have an
> incredible honor to be configurable.  Why?  What is so special about
> them?

They control a very visible feature of the CFF engine.

> I am willing to bet that nobody has touched them or will ever touch
> them.

This is not correct.  If you look up the e-mail list archive you can
see that a few times people reported different stem darkening
parameter sets they are using.

> Apparently, nobody can even explain what they mean.

???  They are well documented!

Why is there such a big fuss about this very minor, unimportant
detail?  It's easy to implement, it doesn't make FreeType slower, so
what?