Re: [ft-devel] Autohinter: stem darkening, first rough prototype

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Autohinter: stem darkening, first rough prototype
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 12:11:20 -0400

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 8:19 AM, Nikolaus Waxweiler <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Or maybe
>> you extend the blue zone data structures with resolution-dependent
>> versions that you can adjust for emboldening.
>

> Hm. You mean taking the emboldening strength in font units and adjusting
> the upper boundary of all blue zones accordingly for each glyph in each
> run through af_loader_load_g? Maybe that will save me temporary copies.
> Or not. Will have a look.

Emboldening changes the outline but not the metrics or blue zones. It
is up on you to deal with it. Here is an idea to brush it aside
gracefully: embolden and scale back. Yes, emboldenig changes the
bounding box predictably, so that you can restore it by scaling back.
This will eat away some of your intended emboldening, so use larger
values to begin with. This should roughly preserve the outer contour
of the glyph as well as metrics and blue zones.