Re: [ft-devel] Alignment of top of capital letters to pixel grid, autohi

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Alignment of top of capital letters to pixel grid, autohinter often 1 pixel off compared to unhinted outline
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 16:02:17 +0200 (CEST)

> Hm, but I thought increasing the x-height is disabled by default
> because ..._MAX is set to 0?

No, the `much more increasing' is disabled, not the `increasing',
which is still slightly preferred to decreasing.

> Is this effect maybe related to missing subpixel hinting?

No.

> Stems must be snapped to integer positions and at some sizes, this
> unfortunately snaps them 1 pixel too low?

The auto-hinter also snaps to 1/2px values.  What you encounter is
simply the enlarged effect of snapping the x height to a discrete
value, then followed by hinting, probably enlarging the effect.