Re: [ft-devel] State of autohinter stem darkening

From: Dave Arnold
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] State of autohinter stem darkening
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 10:07:57 -0700

On 10/22/2015 9:00 AM, Nikolaus Waxweiler wrote:
- I think stem darkening should be tested without gamma applied for
many reasons. Your monitor might have additional gamma correction
settings, which might be different from mine. Gamma correction works
against you when you render light text on dark background (I wish
ftview could do that). I think that the whole point of stem darkening
is that it is better than gamma correction in this respect.

The code in FT does nothing with gamma actually. That's a separate step a
rendering library should do to the bitmaps it gets from FreeType. The
screenshots I provided so far were just made with a hacked pixman ;)

And gamma correction leads to better results with light text on dark background
as far as I can see: https://bel.fi/alankila/lcd/

Stem darkening is intended to work hand-in-hand with gamma correction. You can
run without it, sure, but it won't look too pretty and might exacerbate the
already present color-fringing, blotchiness and pixelness of glyphs ;)

I completely agree with Nikolaus. To state it a different way, correct anti-aliasing
requires that the compositing (alpha blending) is done in a linear color space. The
"gamma correction" step is used to convert from and to the user's color space.
The gamma used could be different on some systems, but it is a reasonable assumption that
the user's monitor gamma is close to sRGB. Otherwise, photographs, images and video would
look wrong.