Re: [ft-devel] Turning off stem darkening by default until all drivers s

From: Markus Trippelsdorf
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Turning off stem darkening by default until all drivers support it?
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 13:58:09 +0100

On 2015.11.10 at 13:43 +0100, Jan Alexander Steffens wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 1:32 PM, Markus Trippelsdorf
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > The big problem is that enabling linear blending is a compile time
> > option for Qt 5. There is no way to control it at runtime AFAIK.
>
> Isn't this is exactly what we want? A Qt built this way should pass
> FT_LOAD_INTEND_LINEAR... to FreeType and expect all the output to be
> appropriate for linear blending.

What happens when one uses it with an old FreeType release? The same
"thin" fonts will be rendered, that caused Qt to disable linear blending
on Linux in the first place.

So this big switch has to be coordinated between FreeType and the
several competing graphic toolkits... I just don't see this happening.

--
Markus