Re: [ft-devel] rendering speedup

From: mviikki16
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] rendering speedup
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 18:16:42 +0200

On 11/20/2015 05:44 PM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>> Indeed, he even opened a dedicated website (http://bohoomil.com) but
>> I can't find an e-mail address to include him in this
>> discussion... I can't speak of him and his interest but I can make
>> these patches public to anyone with a desire for them.
> Maybe you can add a github issue for his repository...
I'll register there, raise this issue and we'll see what happens...
>> Regarding the "right way", I agree that environment variables are to be
>> avoided but maybe not completely i.e. allowing just one to select from
>> the various built-in sets of settings and/or pointing to a user specific
>> custom settings file.
> Sorry, no: Environment variables must be *completely* avoided!  There
> are operating systems that don't have environment variables at all.
Sounds clear. Perhaps we can narrow it down to a single setting passed
through the API to pick the setup by name.
> It's OK for me if only a part of the Infinality improvements are added
> to upstream FreeType.
Not sure what part would that be... bohomil might know best but from my
point of view all look needed minus the getenv and speed issues which
can be fixed with the updates I have available.

>> I'm not familiar with the FT_Property_* API but these settings (in
>> the struct below) are quite many, lots of work to pass them through
>> function calls...
> I'm not sure whether all of them are to be configured individually...
> Anyway, people might apply patches on top of upstream FreeType to have
> environment variable support, but this won't become part of the
> official FreeType distribution.
I have no clear image on how they work internally either. The setting
sets originally were in groups named after the rendering results: i.e.
OSX, SHARPENED, PUSH, WINDOWS7, WINDOWSXP, UBUNTU, LINUX while bohomil
provided 5 numbered sets. Having a single switch to pick from these
might be enough for a start (in my case, I picked one I liked best and
that was it).

/M