Re: [ft-devel] Turning off stem darkening by default until all drivers s

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Turning off stem darkening by default until all drivers support it?
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 18:08:52 +0100 (CET)

>> A new function operating on FT_Library, as Jan suggests, is the way
>> to go, I think, cf. `FT_Library_SetLcdFilter'.
>
> I recommend against that, as it makes the FT_Library non-threadsafe.
> I hvae plans to replace SetLcdFilter with bits in the load_flags to
> make FT_Library fully threadsafe eventually.

Hmm.  It's not clear to me what you want.  Where should metadata be
stored?  With `metadata' I mean stuff that acts globally on many
faces.  Or do you want to get rid of metadata altogether, this is,
moving the global properties in FT_Library to private data in FT_Face?
This would be a major change in FreeType, and I'm not sure that this
would be a wise decision, since it would make FT_Face larger.  We
would also need a new API for handling FT_Face properties.

Note that load_flags is the wrong place for setting the LCD filter
IMHO.  Additionally, we are slowly running out of available bits in
load_flags...