Re: [ft-devel] Turning off stem darkening by default until all drivers s

From: Behdad Esfahbod
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Turning off stem darkening by default until all drivers support it?
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2016 11:56:13 +0000

On 15-12-31 09:50 PM, Nikolaus Waxweiler wrote:
>> It's not.  To you, there might be a lot of things in FT_Library.  To the user
>> of FreeType, none of them are relevant.  A user of FreeType only cares about
>> FT_Face objects.  The only piece of FT_Library, so far, used by major
>> clients,
>> is the SetLcdFilter API.
>
> Hm. So you would only move the lcd_* members to FT_Face and go for a
> FT_Face_SetLcdFilterWeights()?

Historically things were added in load-flags.  But that's not scalable, so
adding new functions for new properties sounds like a more scalable approach.
 I like this.

> If I understand your thread model
> correctly, properties are okay as long as they are confined to a
> FT_Face?

Yes, because an FT_Face cannot be used from multiple threads currently.  What
I did last year was to make FT_Library usable from multiple threads (within
certain limitations).  Otherwise, client libraries would have to create one
FT_Library per FT_Face.  That's what I like to avoid.

> I would model my stem darkening property after your proposal.

Werner has to make the call.

Thanks,
--
behdad