Re: [ft-devel] non-ascii in String INDEX of CFF opentype table

From: Adam Twardoch (List)
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] non-ascii in String INDEX of CFF opentype table
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 04:24:01 +0100

This is a quite terrible aspect of CFF. The CFF does not define at all what a "string" means in context of CFF. But since CFF is derived from PostScript Type 1, many think that the PostScript strings should be used.

PostScript strings are also a bit confusing because they require that parantheses are escaped, so something like "(c)" should actually be stored as "\(c\)". In fact, if you put a single unmatched unescaped closing paranthesis into a CFF string (something like "Type)Media"), such a font will not print on some printers because once converted to Type 1, the closing parantheses is interpreted as an early string termination.

I've even managed to fool some tools by putting Type 1 operators after a ")" into a CFF string. While meaningless in CFF, they did become meaningful once they were embedded as Type 1 is a PDF or print stream.

You could probably even terminate the font, execute arbitrary PostScript and start another font this way, all using PostScript code hidden after the unmatched ")" in a copyright string or so. Fun hacking grounds. :)

In PostScript strings, non-ASCII characters had to be escaped octal (\ddd), with ISO Latin-1 being the implied encoding for those. UTF-8 is not mentioned anywhere.

This leads to various tools and font vendors using various conventions. I've asked about this a few times on the OpenType list but there never was much feedback or consensus.

One feedback from someone at Adobe was that the unescaped copyright string encoded as ISO Latin-1 in Adobe’s fonts was a mistake.

I think the shared belief at Adobe was that the CFF stings should be ASCII-only, with escaped parantheses and octal-escaped higher ISO Latin-1. No Unicode.

Though I imagine that other types of escapement might work, too. It could be UTF-8 with each byte octal-escaped. Or it could (?) be just declared that direct UTF-8 with parantheses escapement is fine.

PostScript string escaping conventions:
http://www.tailrecursive.org/postscript/escapes.html

A.

Sent from my mobile phone.