[ft-devel] Georgian support

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [ft-devel] Georgian support
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 20:04:56 +0200 (CEST)

I've added support for the Georgian scripts to both FreeType and
ttfautohint.  Note however, that there are some problems.  From the
ChangeLog file:

  Georgian is problematic, since `uppercase' forms of Mkhedruli
  (called Mtavruli) are not yet defined in Unicode, which means that
  proper blue zones can't be defined.  However, there is already a
  proposal submitted to Unicode; see

    http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2016/16034-n4707-georgian.pdf

  Additionally, due to historical reasons, Unicode treats Khutsuri as
  the same script as Mkhedruli, and so does OpenType.  However, since
  the two scripts have completely different shapes it can happen that
  blue zones differ considerably.  The tag `geok' used here (derived
  from ISO 15924) to differentiate the two scripts is not an OpenType
  tag in use.  If we now have a font that contains both glyphs for
  Mkhedruli and Khutsuri, and it uses OpenType features for both also,
  HarfBuzz unavoidably treats all glyphs as `geor'.  As a consequence,
  blue zones for `geok' are not used for glyphs involved in the
  OpenType features.

  An issue not yet resolved is which OpenType feature should be used
  to access Mtavruli glyph shapes; right now, FreeType doesn't set up
  support for them, but it is easy to add them later on as soon as
  more information is available.

Please test!