Re: [ft-devel] implementing detection of hinting/rasterization errors in

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] implementing detection of hinting/rasterization errors in fonts
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2016 21:21:51 +0000 (UTC)

Please ignore the 2nd question - it is just "exc->is_composite" !

On Sun, 3/7/16, Hin-Tak Leung <address@hidden> wrote:

 Hi,

 I had a look at the other errors showed by analysing win8.1
 shipped fonts with the 2003 binary,
 and updated "https://github.com/HinTak/Font-Validator/issues/5"; with
 some details. Anyway, the summary is this:

 Out of the 7 kinds of errors/warnings that the 2003 binary
 can find with win 8.1 shipped fonts, 1 is bogus (the MS 2003
 binary being buggy),
 5 freetype already detects and silently works around (2 have
 an "XXX undocumented") - adding a "emit a loud message when
 this happens" for each of those is fairly straight-forward,
 1 of the 7 I haven't figure out how to do.

 The one I haven't figured out how to do is "INSTCTRL not
 called from pre-program" . Obviously I as a person, know
 whether I am processing fpgm or the glyph proper. Is there a
 flag within the byte-code interpreter's context that says
 "currently processing fpgm" ? I assume it is somewhere
 inside.

 The other quick question - where in freetype does it keeps
 track that the current glyph is a composite glyph? I am sure
 it is somewhere, and probably not too important (just the
 glyph id is useful enough to get font designers to go fix
 things...), but the ms 2003 binary's output message includes
 "composite glyph id x" vs "glyph x", so it would be nice to
 do that too.

 Hin-Tak