Re: [ft-devel] Something in 2.6.4 broke my windows fonts

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Something in 2.6.4 broke my windows fonts
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 21:13:12 +0200

Well I don't use Wine anymore, and I wanted to make clear enough
that this is "standalone X + toolkits + webfonts" setup. Maybe it
affects other such "weird" combinations in different ways?

All I wanted to say is that "windows fonts on unix" is not a rarity and perfectly okay :)

Strange thing about this is, that gtk2 program and qt5 program
windows don't explode, and such applications display fonts in window
controls normally, but Gecko engines and some things (yes, I am too
lazy check again) do have problems, indeed.

Basically, fontconfig allows users to set options as they please but it
is up to the application/toolkit that uses fontconfig (GTK/cairo, Qt,
Skia, etc.) to interpret that configuration and instruct FreeType
accordingly. The handling of each toolkit can differ depending on
circumstances. Gecko (cairo) will honor per-font hinting settings, Blink (Skia) and GTK will not and take additional input from other sources. Yes, it's messy.

Fontconfig only has properties for things that can be set per-font, the
interpreter version is a TrueType-engine-wide setting. All users of
fontconfig would need to implement handling for that on a per-font-basis
and maybe it's better not to go there...

Whitelist? Where? Keep in mind that FreeType is not the place for
configuration and white/blacklists unless it's critical for
rendering things correctly.

I was reffering to this email from Werner I found:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.fonts.freetype.devel/10497

Ah, yes, I scrapped that idea because I wanted to see how far I could go
without special-casing fonts except tricky and native ClearType ones.
Very far it turns out. The current code does not have any
white-/blacklisting.

And, well it breaks rendering to almost unreadable levels indeed. So
I would say it is kind of "critical".

That's because your brain is used to something different. I find the
"old" look horrible, you the new one. It's a matter of getting used to
something. The new look has the objective advantage that different fonts render much more harmoniously even when the hinting is shoddy by discarding an entire axis that happens to be important for horizontal text like what you're reading right now. That's why I think it's the objectively better choice for a default.

Lower resolution displays and CRTs are still not the thing of the
past yet. One can hardly find higher quality fonts for situations
like that, than those from Microsoft (unfortunately, open source
fonts will probably never reach that state, now when everybody is
jumping hires "retina" bandwagon). This might be crucial for some
users, and I believe they should not be left in the dark, at least
yet.

Webfonts package contains only handful of fonts and most new fonts
being hires LCD "optimized", whitelist could be an effective option.

I think you're conflating several things here, FreeType's rendition of
Microsoft's core web fonts with the new v40 code is *very* similar to
how they are rendered by DirectWrite on Windows, HiDPI or not. Keep in mind that millions of Windows users are exposed to a very similar rendering every day on crappy low-resolution displays and can read it fine. Internet Explorer, Edge and Chrome all use DirectWrite to render fonts by default, only Firefox uses GDI for several fonts on an internal whitelist. Ubuntu employs a similar look and is the most visible Linux distribution.

What you mean is, you want GDI-like rendering of fonts that were instructed for clean black-and-white display. Think Windows 95+ and XP. That's what the previously default v35 code did, but *only* when the font was hinted accordingly. Read: Microsoft's core web fonts and the DejaVu (+ antialiasing) and Ubuntu family.

Font hinting is an extremely confusing and messy topic.