Re: [ft-devel] Something in 2.6.4 broke my windows (Re: Freetype-devel D

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Something in 2.6.4 broke my windows (Re: Freetype-devel Digest, Vol 138, Issue 9)
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 21:24:03 +0200

I don't seem to have the very beginning of this thread so it is a bit
difficult to see what's going on, anyway, there are a few things I
like to respond to...

That's because Martin sent me a private mail first that I quoted and CC'd to the mailing list. I figured I'd have complaints like that sooner or later, anyway, so I wanted to discuss them publicly.

That's not true - BTW, I keep my wine installation quite up to date
to wine's bi-weekly release schedule. My wine install has a couple of
permanently-non-streamed patches, so I upgrade about once a month.
Wine has had its own version of the MS fonts for many years now. They
work okay, and are metric-identical to their genuine counter parts, I
think. [...]

Okay, so I actually wanted to say that the Wine packages I know usually pull in the old core web fonts, so lots of users have them.

That was what I was commenting on a few days ago - while it is nice
to merge all the hard work - it seems  a bit drastic to switch it on
by default.

To quote myself: "The new look has the objective advantage that different fonts render much more harmoniously even when the hinting is shoddy by discarding an entire axis that happens to be important for horizontal text like what you're reading right now. That's why I think it's the objectively better choice for a default". Millions of Windows users look at similar font rendering every day. I know it's a jarring change to users that are used to what was previously, but I think it's a necessary step because the old way was unsatisfactory in several ways.

The original poster appears to want it system-wide, from the later
post :-). I think he needs my patch above...

Or set the variable system-wide ;)