Re: [ft-devel] Something in 2.6.4 broke my windows

From: Behdad Esfahbod
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Something in 2.6.4 broke my windows
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 17:51:50 -0700

If I may chime in: fontconfig does indeed specify rendering options.  Werner is right that fontconfig itself does not prepare the FT_Face or rendering, and that is a problem, because our means adding any new config options to fontconfig requires updating all clients.  But fundamentally I think it makes sense adding "ft-parameters" to fontconfig, the same way that lcd filter is set for example.

On Jul 7, 2016 4:34 PM, "Werner LEMBERG" <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Just grep'ed through /etc/fonts/conf.d/* , fontconfig allows one to
>> switching hinting on/off per font, as well as disabling the use of
>> embedded bitmaps, again, per font.
>
> I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how fontconfig
> works.  This library is only used to find a best matching font for a
> given set of constraints.  Essentially, it returns a string that holds
> a font's file name, together with auxiliary information the
> application might find useful.  However, it is the application's job
> then to process this font name with a call to `FT_Open_Face'!  In
> other words, fontconfig has *zero* control how the application loads
> the font.  It just provides a suggestion, nothing more.
>
> The `switch hinting on/off' configuration and similar parameters in
> fontconfig influence the auxiliary information returned together with
> the matching font, nothing more.  Again, it's the application's job to
> adhere to this data while calling `FT_Open_Face'.

And even more important: It's also the application's job to call
`FT_Init_FreeType' to get a proper `FT_Library' object, and fontconfig
doesn't provide any hints how to control FreeType modules.