Re: [ft-devel] fontconfig

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] fontconfig
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2016 17:44:23 +0200

Personally, I want the newer code, but I prefer it to not be
activated for every font on the system by default,

Well, it's a design decision.  Similar to MS Windows, you can globally
select whether you want subpixel hinting or not; the soon coming
FREETYPE_PROPERTIES environment variable will allow the same for
applications.  However, you can't do that on a per-font basis.  It
seems that MS Windows users are satisfied with such a scheme, so I
think that a similar setup works for Linux users also.

I concur. Also, hypercustomizers should be left to downstream patches. v40 is the best default for the majority of users.